[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor shower prediction

Gradually I have formed a picture of how the meteor showers are
predicted.  I gather that the cloud of material that form the shower are
created mostly at or near periapsis passage of the parent comet.
However I don't understand what are the forces involved that move this
cloud of material around to different positions in the orbit.   I
presume they still remain very nearly in the same orbit or we would
never see them again.  Is it light pressure or solar winds or other
forces?  Though the orbit is independent of the mass of the object,  the
lower mass would be more sensitive to any perturbations.
    Can anyone tell me a definite source of the book, "The Engineering
and Science of Meteors"?  I have searched as much of the web as I can.
I am sue I can understand that book.