[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Glasses and LM's

Robert Gardner wrote:
>>>I was wondering if you could place some numbers on the gain in
magnitude
>>>that you feel you gained with contact lenses.
>snip<
>>>If I could gain one half to one magnitude it might be worth it
>>>along with the peripheral vision.

Robert,
            I doubt anyone could achieve such gains switcing from
glasses to contacts.  I went back and checked the fields I was using
last year for the Persieds..dot it most certainly would have been Pegasus
in which I conducted my "test."   I recall seeing about 3-4 fewer stars
with glasses, although since I don't remember exactly which night it
was, I can't give you an accurate assessment of the difference.  In any
event, I recall a  difference of .10 to about .25 % of a magnitude.  It
was enough to convince me that in my case at least I needed to stick
with my contacts.
            You may still wish to try it yourself and see.  Extended
wear contacts (used daily, not actually as "extended") are comfortable
and cheap.  But if you're not used to wearing contacts, the initial
breaking-in period can be a hassle and that in and of itself  may be
reason enough to stick with the old specs.
            I'd never argue with either David or Norman, but I consider
myself to have excellent peripheral vision and I see many meteors this
way--I can spot a +3 pretty darn far out, in fact, right down near the
horizon when my FOV is 70 degrees up or higher.  Not all of them, of
course, but quite a few.  Besides, my current glasses have tiny
frames!!!
Kim