[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:Glasses Vs Contact Lenses

Okay, its finally time for me to chime in.
  Contacts verse Spectacles.
   Which ones focus stars better?
 The answer is both, but depends on your prescription.
Soft non-astigmatic contacts on eyes with low to no asigmatism work just
as well and maybe alittle better than glasses for acuity.
Gas Permeable or hard lenses are probably even better than glasses.
 Alot of this depends on pupil size in the dark and how big the optic
zone is on the contacts and how well centered the contacts are.

People with astigmatism who where soft astigmatic ,(or toric) lenses
usually give up some acuity and contrast. Gas permeable lenses do better
in this area than soft.
  Keep in mind that the optics in a hard piece of plastic are going to
be better than a piece of soft cellophane material.

Drawbacks to contacts consist of debri and hydration problems. There is
also the problem of hypoxia secondary to decreased O2 transmission with
any soft lens. O2 transmission is much higher with gas perms.

 There is no question that peripheral vision is much better with
contacts than with glasses. I can not tell you how many times I thought
I missed a meteor in my peripheral vision with my rimless glasses on
just to discount it due to edge reflections.

 P.S. Do not even ask or comment on LASIK surgery and Astronomy.
  If you spend alot of maoney on telescopes and eyepieces,why would you
risk messing things up by inducing optical errors through refractive
surgery. Unless , you are going to do CCD work and give up serious
visual work.  Maybe later when wavefront technology gets passed its
infancy.
--

         Dr. Louis S. Binder,Optometrist
            Fort Bend Astronomy Club