[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Meteorite said to start backyard fire

me>>Most likely any
residual warmth felt immediately after it hits the ground is not due to any
fiery entry into the air, but from simple friction thru the air as it falls.
<<

I didn't say this quite the way I intended. I'll try again.

Most likely any residual warmth felt immediately after a meteorite hits the
ground is not due to any fiery entry into the atmosphere. At this late stage
of dark flight, the heat or warmth is probably due to a combination of simple
friction thru the air and minor air compression in the leading edge of the
falling meteorite.
GeoZay