[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: hot meteorites

My own take on this is to believe that most (notice I did not say all)
meteorites are "cold" and incapable of starting fires upon impact. That
said, however, I can imagine the following scenario:

Cold, dense meteor falls at terminal velocity (~120mph) and strikes...

A) a rock on the ground, shedding sparks that ignite surrounding dry
material
B) a vehicle or other metallic object containing volatile and/or flammable
materials, again sparks, followed by fire.
C)electrical wiring, more sparks...and fire.
D)Much less likely, meteor has combustible core material (carbon) which
smoulders after outer layers ablate away, combustible core material feeds on
oxygen in the air during "dark fall" and upon impact is scattered to produce
fire.

Possible?

terry