[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: hot meteorites

>>Cold, dense meteor falls at terminal velocity (~120mph) and strikes...

A) a rock on the ground, shedding sparks that ignite surrounding dry
material<<

Children playing with lightning would have a better chance getting a fire
started.

>>B) a vehicle or other metallic object containing volatile and/or flammable
materials, again sparks, followed by fire.<<

Only on TV and in the movies.  A fuel truck for example, if half full
wouldn't have enough oxygen in proper proportions to the fuel vapor to catch
on fire if struck by a red hot meteorite. It would need to puncture the tank,
let some fuel drain out where there will be the right mixture and then come
into the proximity of a heat source.

>>C)electrical wiring, more sparks...and fire.<<

Realistically with this scenario you would have three chances...fat, slim and
none.

>>D)Much less likely, meteor has combustible core material (carbon) which
smoulders after outer layers ablate away, combustible core material feeds on
oxygen in the air during "dark fall" and upon impact is scattered to produce
fire.<<

I can't even visualize this as a realistic possibility no matter how I slice
it.  :o)   I can chase several avenues why this wouldn't work, but will
mention that the percentage of oxygen available during most of a meteorites
dark flight period would not be sufficient enough to maintain any smouldering
of any simple combustible material.

>>Possible?<<

I'd have a better chance of hitting the jackpot of a lottery, becoming the
pope of Erupa and winning the Florida Electoral votes all in one day.
GeoZay