[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Geozay's analysis of my hot meterorite scenarios

>Scenario 1: Meteorite strikes rock, sparks setting surrounding dry material
on fire.<
<GZ's retort: Children playing with lightning would have a better chance
getting a fire
started.>

Scenario 1 may be highly unlikely, but certainly not an impossibility. Ask
any of our firefighters who spent the summer out west what sparks can do.

>Scenario 2: Meteorite strikes a vehicle or other metallic object containing
volatile and/or flammable materials, again sparks, followed by fire.<
<GZ's retort: Only on TV and in the movies.  A fuel truck for example, if
half full
wouldn't have enough oxygen in proper proportions to the fuel vapor to catch
on fire if struck by a red hot meteorite. It would need to puncture the
tank,
let some fuel drain out where there will be the right mixture and then come
into the proximity of a heat source.>

That's exactly what would happen if a such a vehicle were to be impacted.  I
make no claim as to the likelihood of such a collision.

>Scenario 3: Meteorite strikes electrical wiring, more sparks...and fire.<
<GZ's retort: Realistically with this scenario you would have three
chances...fat, slim and none.>

I'd agree with all but "none". Since there are meteorites and there are
electrical wires and equipment, I can't see a zero probability.
Astronomically remote yes; zero no.

>Scenario 4: Much less likely, meteor has combustible core material (carbon)
which
smoulders after outer layers ablate away, combustible core material feeds on
oxygen in the air during "dark fall" and upon impact is scattered to produce
fire.<
<GZ's retort: I can't even visualize this as a realistic possibility no
matter how I slice
it. I will ... mention that the percentage of oxygen available during most
of a meteorites
dark flight period would not be sufficient enough to maintain any
smouldering
of any simple combustible material.>

Again, I agree, but put forth this possibility not knowing whether or not
such "combustible matter" does or does not exist in meteors. If I recall cor
rectly, the recent meteor fall in Siberia left a strong petroleum or
tar-like smell in the air. Certainly all the previous scenarios would be
more likely than this one, but as a resident of a state (PA) which has more
than its share of underground coal fires, in which veins of coal smoulder
for years nearly a mile underground (shielded from air). The idea of small
veins of smouldering material in an incoming meteor surviving to the surface
seems at least possible even if unlikely.

>I asked: Possible?<
<GZ said: I'd have a better chance of hitting the jackpot of a lottery,
becoming the
pope of Erupa and winning the Florida Electoral votes all in one day.>

Buy a ticket, shine up that sceptre, and move to Florida George...your life
may be about to change!  ;-)

terry