[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Meteorite said to start backyard fire

In a message dated 12/7/00 12:44:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
terry.johnson@rcenter.org writes:

<<
 GeoZay and all, the SR-71 and other supersonic jets do have to deal with
 frictional heating.  In fact, the SR-71 is limited in velocity BECAUSE of
 the heating of the wings, windshield, tail, etc.  Pilots do not fly it over
 2100 MPH except in certain conditions, but it could theoretically go over
 4100 MPH if heat and vibrations were not a factor.  When authorized by the
 Commander, crews are allowed to go over Mach 3.2 if the skin temperature
 does not exceed 427 degrees C.  In fact, to properly track an SR-71, you
 wouldn't use radar, you'd use infrared detectors. >>

I don't doubt these aircraft get quite hot while in supersonic flight. How
hot is it by the time it lands, after the outer parts have been air cooled
prior to landing at slower speeds? I don't think these aircraft are designed
to absorb heat, but rather to re-radiate it back to the air at a fairly quick
pace.
GeoZay