[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT: Supersonic aircraft engineering

In a message dated 12/8/00 12:02:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bedient@amsmeteors.org writes:

<<
 >The (sharp) leading edges of the SR-71 and possibly other very high speed
 >aircraft were made of fairly thick titanium. They did get quite hot in high
 >speed flight and stayed hot even for a short while after landing. I don't
 >know if there was any cooling system for those leading edges such as
 >circulating fuel through them (or a better coolant).

Thanks for the Concorde and SR-71 info Jim. A thought has occurred to me when
folks talk about an aircraft upon landing or a meteorite upon landing is "Too
hot to touch".  What exactly "is" too hot to touch? If I put my hand under my
faucet of hot water out of my tap, I probably wouldn't keep it there too
long. Probably would consider it "too hot to touch" too. I keep my hot water
heater thermostat set at 120 Deg F. People have been known to get scalded to
death at this temp. I recall two incidences in this county alone in the last
3 years. So if I touched a meteorite right after landing and I felt a
temperature near 120-150 deg F(normal hot water heater settings around here),
I'd probably claim it was too hot to touch. Probably a reasonable temperature
that could be achieved on some occasions from friction/air compression means
during free fall. But a temp of 120-150 deg F isn't hot enough to start a
fire with ordinary combustibles, such as paper or dried grass. I believe the
ignition temperature for paper and dried grass would be in the neighborhood
of 400 Deg F. So without a spark, you don't have a prayer to start a fire. A
ball sized meteorite sitting on paper or grass at 120-150 deg F, wouldn't get
a fire going. But to a human, it would feel "too hot to touch" in generic
terms....unless there were some other physical characteristics that would
indicate hotter temperatures....such as glowing white hot on the ground or
something.
GeoZay