[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Was There a Fireball at about 13:20 UT Dec. 9? Vicinity Southwest US?

We were out walking in Phoenix at this time (06:20 MST) and there was a
brilliant flash of light behind the hill we were climbing.  As we got
around the hill, it looked like there was the remnant of a meteor train
parallel to the horizon and a few degrees below Spica, extending to below
Arcturus.

As this was about an hour before sunrise, it was about as dark as it gets
this near metropolitan Phoenix, so the flash was quite a surprise.  We
didn't meet anyone on the trail who had not had the hill between them and
the flash, but several others had noticed it.