[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminids Parent Body

Hi all!

>  I believe the 22 Feb shower you
> mention is known as the "Delta Leonids" by IMO, peaking on 24 Feb: I was aware
> that this shower was thought to be associated with asteroid 4450 Pan. And of
> course, the relationship between the Geminids and Phaethon is well known.

That's right, I think so.

> But ALL the other asteroidal shower associations you mention are news to me!
> For example, I thought the Ursids (whose peak is coming up soon, on 22 Dec)
> were thought to be associated with Comet Tuttle!

Full apologies if I made such mistakes! I took all thes informations from
Gabrielle Vanin's book, I Grandi Fenomeni celesti  ( Les grands phénomènes
célestes ), and I didn't be carefull when translating. It's actually written that
the dates ( august 14 and december 22 ) of calculated maxima were coinciding with
minor meteor showers : beta-Triangulids and/or alpha-Ursamajorids for the first
date and Ursids for the second. And that's when I read Lew Gramer's mail that I
realize Ursids' source were the comet Tuttle!! Someone might try to associate
these dates with known showers and was mistaken by these coincidences, and maybe
unknown showers whose sources are  asteroids may peak on those dates? Anyone knew
more about those possible showers?
Sorry if I lead someone astray.

Clear skies at all!

Karl