[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Yorktown meteors

> I apologize.  At the time, I was in my mind answering the question, "Does
it
> change?".  The answer is yes.  But I never stopped to estimate how much it
> changes and that is about 50 arc seconds per year which is not too
significant
> in even 200 years or so.  So sorry!  I am too inclined to stick my neck
out when
> when I don't really know what I am talking about.  However the Software
that you
> and Robert are referencing should certainly take this couple of degrees
into
> account.  We used to always call this precession, "The precession of the
> equinox".

I think you are probably right, though, that the change is due almost
entirely to precession.  I just noticed that the difference in the dates of
the September equinoxes in 1781 and 2000 are pretty close to the same as the
differences in the predicted peaks for the Orionids in those years.  So it
seems to me that "precession of the equinoxes" is my answer.

My thanks to you and Robert!

Dave Hostetter