[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: IMO METEOR SUMMARY REPORT, 12/13-Dec-2000, GRALE

Lew,

You put in a lot of effort in this report. One can see that it covers
every parameter of the entire observing session. This is what every
meteor nut strives to produce and then takes great pride sharing it with
others. It may seem a bit overwhelming it should be what every serious
meteor observer strives for. I do supply the IMO with data like this but
I'm too lazy to retype it and post it to the list. Instead I simply post
a short summary to meteorobs.

I would hope that others bitten by the meteor bug would also strive to
submit such reports. You need not learn it all at once! Learn the most
important parameters first then you can add on as you gain experience.
As Lew also stated don't be shy about asking questions! If you are too
shy then visit Mark Davis's NAMN site:

(http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs/)

which makes available a wealth of answers about conducting an observing
session and much more. I might also suggest directly contacting some of
the more familiar names on this list for direct questions. I know that
many people have contacted me in this fashion rather than using the
public list. I'm sure that Lew, Wayne, or Mark would also be happy to
answer any questions you may have.

This is a good opportunity as we currently have a major shower in
progress, another one occurring in a week, and to top it off the
possibility of a very strong shower on the morning of January 3, 2001.

Good Observing to All!

Bob Lunsford (LUNRO)

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Here is the first full report I will have gotten into IMO and NAMN this year!
>
> I'm posting this long form to the entire 'meteorobs' list, partly to stimulate
> some questions, and partly as an encouragement to myself and others (you know
> who you are!), to complete all the OTHER full IMO reports from our observing
> sessions during this past year...
>
> Note that the highlights of last night for me were both the unexpectedly high
> pre-midnight activity from the Geminids, and a lovely -3.5 GEM terminal-burst
> fireball, low in the WSW at 6:37UT, which changed colors from yellow to lovely
> blue-white just prior to its terminal burst.
>
> If anyone on our 'meteorobs' list has any questions about the following report
> (e.g., "What the heck do all those NUMBERS and CODES mean, Lew???"), please DO
> NOT hesitate to post such questions to the 'meteorobs' list at:
>
>         meteorobs@jovian.com
>
> BTW, soon to follow will be the first *EVER* IMO Summary Report from my fellow
> Boston-area meteor observer, Rachel Aubuchon, for the Leonid outburst of 17/18
> November! I'll be sending that along some time before the coming weekend. And
> at some point very soon after that, my own Leonid outburst Final Report, as
> well as Rachel's IMO Report on last night's activity will follow.
>
> Clear skies and many meteors!
> Lew Gramer ("GRALE")

Follow-Ups: References: