[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Good FM activity off Geminids

Activity from the Geminids for both the 13 & 14 December has been very good.
Mostly pings & small flutters noted but some trains were heard. One even lit
the TUNED indicator on my tuner. Must have been a big'n. Signals were often
noted in stereo. Frequencies monitored were 91.5 & 98.5.
I also heard the DOPPLER effect from a meteor on my FM tuner which did not
reflect any FM stations. This reinforces my opinion that some meteors do in
fact emit their own radio noise. Usually it is in AM because the tuner
detects a signal in it's IF stage but nothing is heard through the audio
output. The tuner rejects the AM signal & filters it out. Often too, I hear
brief "hash" or "hiss" noise similar to lightning but there are no storms
within FM reception range. This must be meteors. I heard this a lot this
morning (14th). anyone else have thoughts on this?

Cheers Geoff <Cooma NSW Australia>.