To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Subject: William Denning
From: "James Muirden" <Jmuirden@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:39:45 -0000

I was interested to come across your reference to Denning's work, while
trawling through some personal 'hits'. I wonder if the RAS's decision to
award him the Gold Medal for Jupiter rather than meteors was partly due
to some embarrassment at Denning's contentious claim to have observed
stationary meteor radiants? Some of these 'stationary radiants' were
published in the Monthly Notices. If you are interested in telescope
meteors, Eric Alcock always noted down any that he saw while sweeping
for comets and novae - perhaps he still does, although I don't know
how much observing he does nowadays. I also noted down any when nova
sweeping, but that was back in the 70s.

Best wishes,
James Muirden

------- End of Forwarded Message