[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids from Southern California

I waited until after 0200 PST for the sky to clear. When it did I
quickly set up and started counting. Actually the sky did not clear
completely, there were stars visible where none were seen before. There
was still a thin veil of cirrus clouds covering the sky that created a
ring around the moon. Thicker wisps of clouds came and went. The initial
limiting magnitude was near +4.5. I managed to count 10 meteors (all
Geminids) between 0227 and 0257 PST. At that point the cirrus became too
thick as the LM fell to below +2.0. At that point I watched the clouds
more swiftly across the moon's disk which was entertaining for a bit.
Soon the moon was hazed over too as the clouds thickened.

The average magnitude for the Geminids was +0.4 with the brightest being
-3. Two were yellow, one orange, and the remainder white. The average LM
for the entire 30 minute session was +4.25

Hey, it was better than seeing nothing at all!

Bob Lunsford