[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN 2001 - A New Direction

NAMN 2001 - A New Direction!

Over the past six years, tremendous gains have been made in our efforts to
improve the reporting of meteor observations. When the North American
Meteor Network (NAMN) first came on the scene in 1995, it was common for
meteor reports to be sent to one organization while missing others, or to
arrive at one group multiple times. As someone who has spent a considerable
amount of time archiving meteor reports, I can attest to the difficulty and
extra burden this placed on those responsible for that task. At the same
time, it opened the door for an observer's efforts to get missed in the
then, complex world of meteor reporting.

That is 'ancient' history, and we are now in an age in which almost everyone
has access to computers, email and the internet. This change in technology,
which we have exploited to the fullest, has made the reporting of
observations a simple matter. All of the major meteor groups have webpages
or email addresses that allow an observer to submit observations easily. Up
to the present time, all of the reports received by NAMN have been archived
locally, then forwarded to the International Meteor Organization (IMO).
As we have seen most recently from the wonderful Leonid circulars published
by the IMO, they do an excellent job of archiving data and publishing meteor
results. So, the question that comes to mind is - with all of the improved
reporting available - is the maintenance of a local data archive by NAMN
still necessary once the meteor reports have been forwarded to the
International Meteor Organization? It is my belief that it is not.

Over the past year there has been a decline in North American observations.
Some of this may be the result of less media hype this year as compared to
1999, but whatever the reason, this decline indicates that there is a need
for NAMN to spend more time on searching out and helping new observers.

We have decided to redirect the full efforts of the North American Meteor
Network to the recruiting and training of new and inexperienced observers -
and to concentrate our activities on this education front. Our goal will be
to reach as many potential observers as possible, and to provide them with
the necessary guidance, training and materials to begin submitting
observations. The storage of extensive archival data and the publishing of
highly detailed observational reports will be left to the larger
organizations such as the International Meteor Organization.

I am unaware of any meteor group, anywhere in the world, devoted to the
single task of recruitment and training. Anyone with an interest in
helping, or a skill to donate, is welcome to contact me at the address
below. Are you adept at writing? Web authoring? Graphic arts? Are you a
teacher with advice to give? Willing to give talks or distribute meteor
literature at local schools and/or astronomy clubs? Have a suggestion,
complaint, or question? Contact me! Training and recruitment of new
observers is not restricted to one continent! Although NAMN is based in
North America, I will soon be canvassing meteor groups in other countries in
hopes of creating joint educational efforts.

So, how does this change in direction affect our current beginning
observers? Well, as always, any observer, whether a NAMN member or not, is
invited to submit reports to us for review and comment. This is an
excellent way to get a 'painless' introduction to meteor observing, and
seems to work pretty well as many of our 'graduates' can attest to.

How does this affect experienced observers who have been submitting meteor
reports to NAMN? As a North American contact point for the International
Meteor Organization, I will continue to collect meteor reports from
observers, and forward these on to the IMO. These duties on behalf of the
IMO are completely separate from NAMN, and as such, will not be affected by
the new educational direction that NAMN will be taking. This will ensure
that the efforts of each observer continue to be included in the IMO
worldwide database, and that all observations will be available for use in
the studies undertaken by the IMO and other groups.

We are looking forward to changes this coming year! NAMN is once again
preparing to take the lead, and concentrate on a renewed program of
recruitment, training and education of observers. I invite you to join us -
and help contribute to our astronomical hobby!

Best wishes,

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Goose Creek, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network