[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: FOV of Field definition

Dustin,
I just want to add a caveat to Kim's advice: While keeping a steady
FOV is important, it is a lower priority than 'F', the field obstruction
factor. If the sky is clear, then of course keep a reasonably
constant FOV in the center of your gaze. However, if significant
clouds interfere, it is allowed (and preferable) to shift your FOV
around so your gaze remains centered in the largest clear opening
of sky between the clouds. Why? Because it is more important to
keep the central high-acuity portion of your visual field
UNOBSTRUCTED, because the 'F' obstruction factor is used
directly in calculating ZHR, and should be minimized as much as
possible. 'F', like LM and the time of observation, hence radiant
elevation, are the most crucial parameters to keep track of.

Merry meteor observing! Ho ho ho.
Mike.