[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: FOV of Field definition

Lew Gramner wrote:

> Kim Youmans wrote:
> >As a beginner, there was a bit of mystery that I had to clear up as far as
> >orientaion during a session. Is it OK to look all around, back behind me, to
> >the right or left, if I plan on writing a report? The answer is basically no.
> >I was told it was important to keep oneself focused on the FOV recorded...
>
> Kim, I hate to say it, but my application of the technique is exactly the
> opposite of the above! For every session period, I basically record where
> my BODY is pointing. But in order to keep my attention level up, to avoid
> any occasional cloud (and corresponding F-factor adjustment), and just to
> make my observing a bit more varied and enjoyable, I move my eyes around
> all the time, and my head from time to time as needed... Is this wrong?
>
> Kim, I'll take the liberty of speaking for you, and say that we'd BOTH be
> interested to hear what other experienced observers do! :)

The field of view is not meant to chain your eyes to a fixed
position. Wandering around slightly is no problem. Let me summarize
the reasons for the FOV:

(1) shower association: The closer you observe to a minor-shower radiant,
    the better will be your shower association. The FOV may therefore
    serve as a selection criterion for minor-shower analysis.
(2) flux computations: The visual meteor numbers have to be corected
    for the actual air volume monitored along with magnitude change
    for meteors and all. The elevation of the FOV is essential here.
    the corrections are small if you observe above 50 degrees with
    the FOV -- only then no horizon obstruction is given. This is
    recommended.
(3) cross-checking: The FOV often helps to discover erroneously
    converted local time->UT. It serves as a checking option for
    data utilization, which is not a minor point; I have often
    discovered errors through the FOV!

Your should mainly face a given FOV during your observation. if you
spot a flash behind you, do not hesitate to check what it was though.
but do not walk around while observing. Lew, perhaps you can
restrict your field to one-three constellations while observing.

Best wishes, Rainer

--
Rainer Arlt  --  Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam -- www.aipdot de
Visual Commission - International Meteor Organization -- www.imodot net