[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CFV (was Re: (meteorobs) Re: FOV of Field definition)

That's a good clarification, Mark. I suspected we were all pretty much noting
our fields of view the same way. It's just expressing all the details in a way
that will be clear to newcomers that is a bit tricky!

And you bet, any time I have to move the lawnchair, I record a change of CFV
(Center of Field of View). Also, from hour to hour, I note where my eyes are
resting in the sky, even if I DON'T move the lawnchair... After all, the Earth
has a pesky habit of turning while I'm lying there under the sky. :)

Rainer, I take to heart what Mike Linnolt expressed so well: I generally cannot
crane my neck for too long, at any rate. So the only times my AVERAGE field of
view will deviate much from one spot are when I'm avoiding cloud cover for some
period of time. And even then, be assured I rarely have to look closer to the
horizon than 50o elevation: If I did, I'd have to note obstruction down there!

BTW, meteor newcomers should note that it ISN'T necessary to memorize Right
Ascensions and Declinations all over the sky to record CFV! While you are
actually out observing, just note what constellation, star or other interesting
object you are looking at. Then you can easily go back later (say, when you're
filling out that big IMO form!) and figure out the right RA and Dec numbers to
put in the "CFV" field of your report.

You can even note Compass direction and altitude in the field (like, "facing
Southeast, 70 degrees up"), and then use a planetarium software program later
to translate that into RA and Dec based on the time of that observing period!

Clear skies,
Lew