[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: FOV of Field definition

In a message dated 12/19/2000 6:21:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
MeteorObs@charlestondot net writes:

Mark wrote:
<<
 I've noticed the same thing Bob. Moving my head also seems to increase the
 number of "spurious flashes" of light I see....

I've noticed this, too.  There may have been a discussion of this last year,
but I've long noticed these very fast, very dim (5 or 6 mag) flashes.  I once
"observed" in the planetarium where I work and noticed these flashes
when I moved my head or stood up and then sat down.  Even when all
lights and planetarium stars were turned down to total darkness.

These are different from a category of "diffuse meteors" which I long
noticed.  I tried the planetarium sky because of these, originally, after
a question about "diffuse meteors".  I found that I saw 2 or so of these
in 15 minutes.  Long ago I had thought of these as "floaters", as I have
these in my eyes.  My guess was substantiated when I noticed one
of these seemed to be reddish in the planetarium.  Then I noticed that
I still had the red "exit" light on in the direction that I saw this flash.
When I turned all lights off, I no longer saw these (not the dim little
flashes).  So I concluded that this category was, indeed, floaters,
apparently just reflecting or refracting starlight or other incident
light.

Clear skies,
Bob Young
State Museum of Pennsylvania Planetarium