[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: FOV of Field definition

For most observing I face south at an elevation of 70o.  The moon this year
has forced me to face other directions more than usual.  I use a thin pillow
doubled over to achieve a comfortable neck for the proper elevation.  My
pads are flat on the ground, 3 old sofa cushions.  These I acquired when my
mother replaced living room chair and couch cushions in 1963.  One of them
is disintegrating badly by now, am having to treat it carefully to get a
little more life out of it.  Foam rubber dust gets shaken out each time.

I am probably within 20o of the center of FOV for 80% of the time, and
within 30o for 90%.  The rest of it goes for stretching and looking around a
little to keep alertness up.  My head isn't still for very long, but I'm not
trying to  "cover the whole sky"  either.  Motion does cause an occasional
spurious flash off the glasses when a star or something else gets caught the
right way.  I need to walk a little every couple of hours  also, still
looking up.  Vertical breaks are refreshing, but would be much less
attractive on cold nights.  I keep observing even during a short visit to
the necessary room.  It is very sporty to see a meteor during a necessary
operation.

No more warm weather for now.  Wind chill in the 20's expected tomorrow
morning with air temp 38F in town.  It should be back to the 50's for Ursid
night.  Outlook for clear sky looks good for the Ursids at the moment.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society