[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) FOV and Catatonia

Kim wrote:
>Finally I could not agree with Bob and Mark more on keeping
>one's head still if at all possible.

I also experience these "flashers" - particularly while fatigued.
And the more of my body I move, the more likely I am to see them:
if I am just moving my head, they are never more than occasional.
If I shift in my lawnchair, they occur fairly often if I'm tired.
But when I'm just lying back down from a break, then nearly every
time I will see a flasher or two, even if I'm not very tired! It
is a natural part of my session to screen these from my counts.

Anyway, I suspect if we could actually track our pupils, we'd find
that most experienced observers in reasonable conditions (i.e., no
intermittent clouds, no moon or headlights to avoid, etc.) pretty
much keep our heads in a fairly small area. However, I don't make
it a point to concentrate on keeping my head still during a watch:
it would simply be too distracting for me. That said, do Rainer or
Bob or others believe my data are less correctable for that reason?

If so, I would need to adjust my observing technique yet again. (It
would not be the first time in 25 very interittent years. :) Nor do
I expect it would be the last such adjustment!)

Clear skies,
Lew