[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) SURPRISE METEOR SHOWER EXPECTED ON WINTER SOLSTICE

Lew wrote:
>Also in the EVENT of an outburst, are the URSs really expected to be
>plentiful and bright enough to make collection of spectra that likely?
>Or does the mention of astrobiology results mean there's a dust
>collection mission??

Hi Lew,

I think Peter will employ his image intensified video cameraas equiped with
transmission gratings. Unlike photographic spectra, the meteors then do not
need to be that bright. A +4 gives workable spectra. Its the same technique
employed to catch spectra from the Leonid storm, and earlier the 1995 alpha
Monocerotid outburst by Borovicka et al.

The Netherlands for a change has good prospects for clear skies tonight.
Although if the predictions are correct we will miss the event (twilight becomes
too strong at about 6:00-6:15 UTC here), perhaps we might see something of the
earliest rise in activity, or otherwise, info on the low level " annual"
component behind the peak.

All the best to the American observers, and good luck!

Marco Langbroek (DMS)

------- End of Forwarded Message