[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ursids in cloudy metro Washington, DC

Hi Everyone,
   I tried to chase a clearing trend I saw in satellite IR imagery in
northern Virginia.  I only succeeded in getting 10-30% clear skies at
8:36-9:23 UT: no Ursids, no fireballs, no prodigious rate.
   I just read Rainer's and Sirko's data.  Their trends toward higher hourly
rates looked encouraging, however, were those attributable to greater
radiant heights alone?  Also encouraging were the minus magnitude URS's
being seen.  Most of the Ursids I've seen have been +2 or fainter.  The only
minus URS I saw was a -2 just before morning twilight in 1993.  Bob Lunsford
went on, in California, to see 81 URS which included a -8 FB.  Time will
tell what happened today.
   Rainer, I converted -5C to Fahrenheit: +23F.  Either way the human body
suffers the same, nicht wahr?
   Rich Taibi