[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Ursids Peak report - Basically inactive.

In a message dated 12/22/00 5:12:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu writes:

<< on the drive out there, I was listening to KNX Newsradio and
 they had a short feature on tonights "Ursid meteor storm". They
 said to expect one meteor per minute starting at exactly 11:39pm.
 Whoops - Another case of bad media hype and inaccuracy. No
 wonder people don't believe in meteor showers anymore :( >>

Hey! Don't blame the media.

    When there is a sudden bevy of press releases and announcements about a
"Surprise Meteor Shower Coming!" with comments about a "possible" enhancement
from some trustworthy sources (such as a NASA/Ames meteor astronomer), what
do you expect the media to do?

    I suppose it could go the other way as well . . . if the Ursids provided
an amazing outburst of say, 100 bright meteors per hour but the news media
gave it short shrift (deciding instead to report on George W's latest
nomination for some post in his cabinet) they would get blamed again!

-- joe rao