[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ursid shower - first results

We've analysed the first video tape of our observations in California
and find the following (preliminary) rate of Ursids.

Camera: XX1332 Mullard Gen II intensifier, f1.8 50mm optics. Recorded on Hi-8.
The field of view of this camera is 47 x 35 degrees, aimed at an elevation
of 56 degrees West-North-West. Operated by Peter Jenniskens from
120.0W,+35.9N.

 time (UT)  N urs  N other
5:30-5:40    1    0
5:40-5:50    1    0
5:50-6:00    1    2
6:00-6:10    2    2
6:10-6:20    1    5
6:20-6:30    0    2
6:30-6:40    1    1
6:40-6:50    1    3
6:50-7:00    3    0
7:00-7:10    3    4
7:10-7:20    2    0
7:20-7:30    3    0
7:30-7:40    2    2
7:40-7:50    7    0
7:50-8:00    1    3
8:00-8:10    3    3
8:10-8:20    3    0
8:20-8:30    6    3
8:30-8:40    1    1
8:40-8:50    4    0
8:50-9:00    1    1
9:00-9:10    4    5
9:10-9:20    0    0
9:20-9:30    0    4
9:30-9:40    1    1
9:40-9:50    1    5
9:50-10:00   2    4
10:00-10:10  0    5
10:10-10:20  0    1
10:20-10:30  0    2
10:30-10:40  1    3
10:40-10:50  0    2
10:50-11:00  1    1
11:00-11:10  1    2
11:10-11:20  0    2

These were gathered by Peter Gural from a visual scan of the tapes of
one of our intensified video camera's at Parkfield. 11 more cameras to go.
We also detected at least one Ursid spectrum at 08:24:57 UT, covering the
wavelength range from about 400 to 850 nm, the meteor of which was imaged
from both observing sites. 19 double station Ursids thus far after comparisson
with part of the tapes from an aligned intensified video camera at San Antonio
Lake.

An update of further observations is maintained at:
http://www-space.arc.nasadot gov/~leonid/leonidnews29.html

-Peter