[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteorites and Terminal velocity

George,

     Your point about recrystalization from reheating has merit but I
believe that to form smaller crystals the iron meteorite would have to
completely melt (2795 o F  or 1535 o C ) then all of the meteorite would
have the same very small crystals that make up the fusion crust.

     Your point has inspired a question that perhaps scientists should
investigate, maybe they have, of the effects reheating would have on other
inclusions that can be found in iron and stony meteorites. The morphology
of some meteorites and targeted inclusions from reheating could be
significant and detectable if investigated.  The 1885 Biela iron meteorite
 (the Mazapil Meteorite) we discussed within the last two years would be a
good meteorite to investigate, it had the normal inclusions and was
reported to be glowing from12 inches down its impact hole.

     Upon re-reading a part of the story, spectrographs of meteors during
the shower in which the meteorite fell, (yes, 1885) match very well the
iron and carbon showing in a spectograph of the meteorite. Thought Ed,
Peter and others might appreciate that.   "Is It A Piece of Comet?", The
Century Magazine, Aug 1887,  by William E. Hidden, if anyone wants to
look it up.

     As for Marco's comment, I've had to drop iron tools that had gotten too
hot in the sun but the reports we are concerned with are about freshly
fallen meteorites that have been variously reported as frosty, cold, warm,
hot or even glowing with heat just after landing. I believe all are possible
depending on circumstances for each individual meteorite.

                                                   Dave English
                                                   Oceanside, California

Follow-Ups: References: