[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Anti-helion meteors

Robert,

I would expect that you should see 2-3 antihelion meteors this time of
year under the conditions you gave. These meteors enter the earth's
atmosphere at speeds near 30 km/sec which is slower than average. The
brighter members that I have seen that possessed color have usually been
orange or yellow. I may also add that the antihelion meteors seen in
January are also often referred to as Delta Cancrids.

I hope this helps!

Bob Lunsford

Robert Gardner wrote:

> I just finished observing for over an hour in my backyard under
> extremely poor condition.  I have learned to recognize antihelion
> meteors and the following question occurred to after seeing two
> tonight.  With the ecliptic so high at this time of the year how many
> anti-helion meteors could one expect to see per hour if you were
> observing between 1:30 and 2:30 local time with a LM 6.0 sky at this
> time of the year?  Are they characterized by any special speed or color?

Follow-Ups: References: