[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Quadrantids

On Thu, 28 December 2000, Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Robert,
>
> You are correct that the radiant will only be approximately 47 degrees
> in altitude at the start of morning twilight on January 3, 2001. Are
> these very unfavorable conditions at this latitude? This is as good as
> it's going to get at this latitude. You could opt for heading north and
> raising the altitude but the further north you go the less chance you
> have of encountering clear skies at this time of year. Besides it gets a
> bit colder as you head north too!

Amen to that. I haven't seen the Quadrantids from Oregon, except one evening earthgrazer from a casual watch a couple of years ago, but have had at least partly clear skies on the two occasions that I was in Arizona during the shower. So far, I'm crossing my fingers, but we had freezing rain for the Geminids and thick clouds for the Ursids. Seeing anything is better than seeing nothing, and as Robert Lunsford points out, the geometry this year is about as good as it gets for the Quadrantids for west coast viewers.

Good luck.

--
Wes Stone
Portland, OR