[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Late Ursid?

This morning, December 30, I awoke early and went out in the back yard
to catch a little early morning observing under very bad skies, about LM
3.5 and some light scattered stratus clouds.  I started at about UTC
13:50 (5:50 PST).  I was facing North and centered my vision at about
55o elevation.   I was hoping to catch an early Quadrantids or anything
else and my azimuth was chosen by my surroundings.  After about 5
minutes, just before 14:00 UTC I saw a beautiful zero magnitude meteor
which, as close as I could determine radiated from the same area as the
Ursids and looked for all the world just like the early Ursids I had
observed in the desert.  My question is, could it have been an Ursid
though it is four days outside the interval listed in the manuals?
    My longitude is 118o 03" 30', latitude 34o 07" 30', altitude 950 ft.