[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors in 2000

Like Kim Youmans did in 1999, I'm going to look back at 2000, meteor wise.
This was my best year so far in terms of teff and total meteors seen. I
observed on 77 nights and in 202.08h teff saw 4380 meteors. By far the
most numerous are sporadics with 2714 meteors, then the Perseids with 776
meteors and the Leonids with 363 meteors. I saw 45 fireballs, the
brightest being a -10m sporadic on November 10. Of the 45, only 6
fireballs were sporadics, so the average frequency was one sporadic
fireball per 33.68 hours.
  The best thing this year was certainly the Leonid expedition - had loads
of fun, a couple of arguments and the Leonid 2000 outburst. With ZHR 250+
this was the strongest shower I've ever seen! Another great night was the
Perseid peak night, which I spent observing with five other colleagues,
again had a great time! With 115/h the Perseids weren't too shabby at all!
Sporadics also made some nights pretty memorable, the best was August
28/29, when I observed with Jure and Javor from Gornji Grad. LM was +7.1
and sporadics recahed 39/h. The best LM this year was +7.34 on February
10/11 from Mariborska Koca - again I was there with Jure and Javor.
  One major disapoinment was missing the Quadrantid shower due to a cold,
Jure and Javor saw rates up to 100/h. Also my alarm clock failed me on
several nights and more than once I woke up in the morning to a clear blue
sky. I guess the clock was just making sure my average adrenalin level was
high enough. I thanked it with a one way flight into the wall several
times. Mr. Murpy wasn't asleep even during sanitary breaks - during the
Lyrid campaign I went to the toilet for 2 minutes and, naturally, missed a
Lyrid fireball.
  Loads of fun also at the summer camp. There I observed with the entire
MBK Team for several (8) nights. The best camp ever! I'd also like to
thank Werfried Kuneth for coming and showing us his radio meteor equipment
and technique. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate.
  In the end I'd like to thank Jure and Javor for being such good friends
and observing colleagues and I hope we'll do more observing in 2000 (I
hope we see a big fireball together sometime soon!). And thanks to all
folx on meteorobs for making it such a great list!

Clear skies!

Jure A.