[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sounds from Jupiter

> we should not even call the signals which NASA released "sounds from Jupiter."

But the Plasma Wave scientists themselves do it! The PI of the PWS on the
Voyagers once explained to me (during the Vgr 2 Neptune flyby) that these
scientists actually listen to their data (the frequencies are in the
audible range, so the signals are converted into sound 1:1) and learn that
way more about the physics. Certain sounds resemble turbulences in flowing
water, and that's what led him to more detailled modelling of the complex
phenomena near the giant planets. For an experienced plasma-wavologist this
task seems to be easier sometimes from the audio display of the data stream
than from the other usual representation as colorful spectral time series
(i.e. intensity plotted as color in the frequency-vs.-time plane).

Daniel