[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Happy New Millennium

    I know that I am late with this, but nonetheless I want to share
something with all of you concerning our passage from the old year into the
new.  I really wanted to send this out earlier, but unfortunately the recent
snowy nor'easter kept me quite busy these past few days.  The passage below
was written by an old and dear friend, Dr. Kenneth L. Franklin.  Dr. Franklin
spent nearly 30 years as Chief Astronomer of the American Museum-Hayden
Planetarium in New York.  Now retired and spending the winter months with his
lovely wife Charlotte at their casita in Guadalajara, Mexico he continues to
dispense interesting and thought-provoking items of interest.

    As for my own thoughts on the New Year, I can only hope that it turns out
to be an even better year for all of you as compared to the one just past.
In the words of Jackie Gleason's alter-ego, Ralph Kramden, may 2001 be the
year that " . . . you finally hit that high note!"

-- joe rao

UNIQUE MOMENTS
    By Ken Franklin

    Two adjacent seconds through which we are about to live on this New Years
Eve, are unique in themselves.  One is the last second of the last minute
of the last hour of the last day of the last month of the last year of the
last century of the second millennium in the calender by which we live.  The
very next second will be the first second of the first minute of the first
hour
of the first day of the first month of the first year of the first century
of the third millennium.

    Of course, every second is unique, because it can never be recalled,
never be relived, but no other two adjacent seconds can ever again be
described as you have just read.

    But didn’t the new century and millennium begin with January 1, 2000?
No,
but the party went on anyway.  The confusion began when the numbering system
for our calendar was initiated in the fourth century.  The mathematical
concept of zero being a number did not come into the scholarship of the
western world until about the year 1000, so there is no year zero in our
calender.  The idea was to start the numbering of our calendar with the
birth of Jesus, the numbers being identified with the phrase, “Anno Domini,”
“year of our Lord.”

    Indeed, if the correct year had been chosen (which is now believed to be
4
BC), that would be the first year, but as with any baby, that first year
must be experienced before the babe is called one year old.  In that first
year, the baby’s age is numbered in months until twelve have elapsed.  But
Dennis Exiguus (Dennis the Small) was a well-intentioned monk, not a
mathematician.  Even if he had been a mathematician, he still would not have
called it year zero.  But he could have waited until Jesus had lived that
first year before calling it One.

    Now just as a baby must live that first year before we say it is one year
old, a century cannot be called complete until 100 years have passed.  It is
easier, perhaps, to understand the problem if we label the years as “first,”
“second,” “ third,” “fourth,” etc., using ordinal numbers.  Then the year
2000 should properly be called “the two thousandth year,” rather than “the
year 2000".   Clearly, the third millennium must then begin when the last
century of the second millennium has run its course, namely with the end of
the 2000th year, thus with the beginning of the year 2001.  A British book
treating this general subject with emphasis on century numbering, notes,
“Considerable public controversy attends these occasions.”

    What about years earlier than year 1 AD?  The first year before 1 AD is 1
BC, not zero.  (BC stands for Before Christ, but in some religions, the
letters BCE are used, meaning, Before the Common Era.)  In astronomy, and
other disciplines dealing in years straddling this date, 1 BC is labeled
zero, and 2 BC becomes  -1, etc.

    The two seconds mentioned above as being unique for you are unique for
you
only in your time zone.  In a general way, those two seconds are unique 24
times around the world.  The “first second . . . ” makes its appearance on
the earth in the first time zone to the west of the International Date Line
somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  An hour later, these two seconds are at the
next western time zone, and January 1now completely fills that first time
zone.  And so it goes around the earth.  (Actually, there are more than 24
time zones, because some countries need a slightly different convention for
their own convenience, but 24 will suit us in this discussion.)  When the
“first second . . . ” reaches the last time zone to the east of the date
line, January 1 covers the entire earth.  In an hour, January 2 begins to
push January 1off the earth.  It will take another day to do it,  so January
1 is in existence somewhere on the earth for 48 hours.

    This fact can cause confusion for anyone dealing with the entire earth,
or
a large part of it, like on long range jet flights.  For this reason, such
enterprises use Greenwich Mean Time, often called Universal Time.  Thus they
are dealing with only a single time zone no matter where they are on the
earth, but they then must adjust to local time when landing.

    What time is it, now?  As you look at your watch or clock, recall that
every second is unique in its own way.  As you live each second, and
whenever you note the time on the clock, realize that it is now--right
now--later than it has ever been.