[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quadrantids from Portland, OR

Skies were forecast to be partly cloudy on the night of January 2/3 in Western Oregon, and they certainly were. I scrapped a plan to go to a dark site because I didn't want to drive into the clouds, and stayed in my backyard. I got in a reasonable observing session from 11:36-12:48UT. Quadrantids were rather faint but active. Sporadic rates were in the toilet during my count; more showed up during casual watches before and after the count when conditions were unfavorable. Also, an orange QUA -3 and a -2 COM were seen under casual conditions, the only meteors of the night with persistent trains (several seconds each).

DATE: 2001 January 2/3
BEGIN: 11:36UT       END: 12:48UT (Teff=1.2h)
OBSERVER: Wes Stone
LOCATION: Long: 122.53 West; Lat: 45.48 North
City & State: Portland, OR
RECORDING METHOD: Tape Recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: (Use 3 letter Codes)
QUA
SPO
OBSERVING PERIODS:
0 = None seen;  / = shower not watched.

PERIOD(UT)      FIELD        LM      QUA     SPO
11:36-12:48   10.5h, +40    5.47      23      3

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER   -2  -1  0  +1  +2  +3  +4  TOTAL
QUA       1   1  1   3   6   6   5    23
SPO                      2   1         3

SKY OBSCURED:
40% FROM: 11:36-11:51UT
15% FROM: 11:51-12:06UT
20% FROM: 12:06-12:21UT
30% FROM: 12:21-12:36UT
20% FROM: 12:36-12:48UT

Mean Cloud Cover: 25%
F=1.33
DEAD TIME: NONE
BREAKS: NONE

LIMITING MAGNITUDE:

                STAR    STAR
TIME            AREA    COUNT   LM
11:36            3       10     5.49
11:36            9        8     5.42
11:51            3       19     5.49
11:51            9        9     5.44
12:06            3       10     5.49
12:06            9        9     5.44
12:21           16        6     5.64
12:21            9        8     5.42
12:36            9        8     5.42

MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: 5.47
METEOR DATA:

                            SPEED
#    TIME(UT)  SHOWER  MAG  (1-5)  COLOR  TRAIN(SEC)
1     1136       QUA    3     3
2     1145       QUA   -1     4
3     1146       QUA    2     3
4     1148       QUA    0     4
5     1150       QUA    4     4
6     1151       QUA    2     3
7     1200       QUA    2     3
8     1201       SPO    2     5   orange
9     1207       QUA    3     2
10    1207       QUA    3     4
11    1210       QUA    1     2
12    1211       QUA    4     3
13    1211       QUA    4     3
14    1211       SPO    2     3
15    1214       QUA    3     3
16    1217       QUA    4     3
17    1219       QUA    1     2
18    1230       QUA    2     3    blue
19    1232       QUA    2     4
20    1237       QUA    2     3
21    1237       QUA   -2     2    orange->violet
22    1240       QUA    1     4
23    1241       SPO    3     3
24    1246       QUA    2     4
25    1247       QUA    4     4
26    1247       QUA    3     4

Cloud cover high cirrus with lower, moving clouds.
About 10% solid obstructions in order to avoid light glare.
Temperature 40F.
#8 possible COM.
#15 near radiant.
#21 changed from orange to violet; both colors may have been present at once. Same coloration seen in a mag 0 QUA during casual watch.
Count ended at 12:48 due to sudden increasing cloud cover (>50%).