[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quadrantids from Central PA

I'm only including partial magnitude counts, I'm tired, and I don't feel like
typing the rest :) (all is below)

There were several nice meteors, and this was my first time viewing the
Quads. Usually we go to a Dark Sky site to observe meteor showers, but I'm a
student, and since I had school the next day I organized the viewing at our
Observatory. I woke up at 1:00 AM to get ready, and went right from the
viewing to school, and here I sit, still awake :) I feel a dark sky site
would have brought out a few more meteors, but the ones I did see were fairly
medium speed meteors, and a definite new years treat. It was 16 degrees, and
I was bundled up :) Definitely not the "Fireworks" display publicized, but a
fair shower, on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate my enjoyment/activity of the shower
a 4.

Observer: Ted A. Nichols II
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1/03/2001 7:00 UT - 12:00 UT
Location of site: Edward L. Naylor Observatory (ASH) Lewisberry, PA, USA (Lat
40.15 N, 76.9 W, Elev 190 M)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5.9 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Cloud Presence: 0%
Method: Pen & Paper

Period 1:  7:00UT - 7:30UT
SPO (1)  QUA (2)
Magnitude Distribution:
SPO -
#1 +1.2 mag
QUA
#1 0.4 Mag
#2 2.4 Mag

Period 2: 7:30UT - 8:00UT
SPO (2) QUA (5)
Magnitude Distribution:
SPO
#1 1.7 Mag
#2 -.2 Mag
QUA
#1 2.1 Mag
#2 3.1 Mag
#3 3.2 Mag
#4 2.7 Mag
#5 -.4 Mag

Period 3: 8:00 - 8:30 UT
SPO (1)  QUA(8)
Magnitude Distribution:
SPO
#1 1.4 Mag
QUA
#2,6 About 2.3 Mag
#1,3,4,5,7,8 All under 1.9 Mag but not below 0.0

Period 4 8:36 -9:00 UT
SPO (2)  QUA (13)
Magnitude:
SPO