[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Aids for night vision?

At 12:47 2001/01/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Anybody know if there any edible or intakeable supplements that would
>enhance faint seeing? (Other than carrots.)  ( And coffee for alertness.)

Without sufficient vit A (as from carrots), your night vision will
deteriorate.  So you want vit A, beta carotine, etc.  But I don't think an
excess amount will do anything to enhance it any more.  (Because of the
modern American diet, a good multiple vit is a good idea, as are extra
antioxidents vits C & E, tho they aren't likely to give you Superman's
vision).

>Once I heard that people inhaled pure oxygen while observing...or something
>like this. I don't know if that is true or not.

A lack of O2, as at some of the very high observatories, could hurt.  But
again, I doubt that extra O2 would help much, tho it might help a little.
At least, in normal observing positions and set-ups, you aren't likely to
get extra carbon monoxide, as friends of mine have been known to do in
their little too-tight ice fishing shanties.  This can be a real danger in
some winter activities.

>I would even be interested in folklore information, even if it may sound
>preposterous.  Someone once told me that hunters used to eat some sort of
>plant seeds before hunting rabbits for brighter seeing.

I know of some substances that some people use that allows them to see *all
sorts* of things - whether they're there or not!  If you're really
interested in seeing some of those psychedelic visions (and maybe even
feeling like you could fly up to meet them), I'm sure there are some
compounds that would assist your vision in that way!    ;-}