[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO says don't drink Hot Drink while Observing in the Cold

> "do not have hot drinks -- they dilute the blood vessels and make you feel
> colder"

Physiologically this seems wrong and counter to experience.  The dilation
of blood vessels in response to heat is a natural process to dump excess
heat.  As you cool, the vessels contract to prevent further heat loss.
The problem with dilation of capillaries near the skin, is with drugs like
alcohol which cause the dilation as a response to the drug rather than heat,
and result in inappropriate heat loss.  I can't guarantee that there is
some aspect of the physiology I have misunderstood, but if there is, I'd
like to know.

Cheers, Rob