[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO says don't drink Hot Drink while Observing in the Cold

AstronomerTed wrote:
> The International Meteor Org states on their website
> <http://www.imodot net/visual/major01.html>
> "do not have hot drinks -- they dilute the blood vessels and make you feel
> colder"

That should read "dilate", not "dilute".  I don't believe this is an old
wives' tale, just because it sounds counter-intuitive.  Eating carrots
has been demonstrated to help with night vision (as explained in another
thread).

> This is really true? Everyone that I've ever observed with has always
> advacated "Drink some hot chocolate, or do you want something hot to drink?"

Most people don't realise the physiological effects.  You may feel good
at first, but if it's too hot the body compensates by trying to cool
down.  Hotter things cool faster than colder objects.  I'd only ever
take a hot drink at the end of observing.  During watches my preference
is for cool or tepid water and perhaps some chocolate or biccies (that's
cookies in America), and adequate layers of clothing and blankets to
keep out the cold.

> I just can't see drinking a glass of cold chocolate milk in -30 degree
> windchills...... I'd much rather have some hot cocoa...

Warm might be fine, it's the hot drinks you'd be best to avoid.

Malcolm