[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: sizziling skies report

Interesting report!
Could it be that this effect shows up on FM radio as well? During the
Leonids 2000, I heard a meteor produce a fantastic Doppler effect as it came
in & produced an intense train. This Doppler effect would have to be
produced by the moving object (I've been told a FM station cannot produce a
doppler effect because of its frequency modulation, so it can't be a
shifting in frequency by the station). I have also read on the web that a
meteor does not produce radio waves of its own. Any comments on this? Like
audio meteors, this effect appears to be extremely rare. I don't know of
anyone else who has done this on a FM tuner, but have done so in SSB mode
using TV vision carriers which are AM modulated not FM.
And YES I have an excellent recording of this.
Cheers Geoff <Cooma NSW Australia>