[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: dilation + REPOST Hot drinks

Back on 1999 Nov 14 I had this to say about hot drinks :

>Another problem awaits those taking freely of hot drinks on cold nights when
>less fluid is needed for hydration.  On the first weekend after the
>Quadrantids of 1976 I went observing in the Everglades with rather cold low
>40'sF.  I was fortified with a thermos of hot chocolate courtesy of my
>mother. (Living in Miami with parents at the time.)   After warming up with
>a healthy swig, twenty minutes later right on schedule an equal volume of
>fluid was making ready to say hi.  Out of the sleeping bag -- loss of heat
>-- sudden loss of fluid -- more loss of heat.  Perfect time to drink more
>while up and atom, and the cycle began afresh.
>
>I never did that again ; having repeated boom-bust warming cycles just
>wasn't worth it.  A bit of cold water is refreshing even on cold nights to
>stay comfortably hydrated.

I don't think eating raw carrots to get vitamin A does any good.  Carrots
have a heavy cellular structure, and they need to be cooked to release the
vitamin.  Jeff Corder, telescope user, was making like a rabbit at night for
a short time in the late 80's trying to help his night vision.  He quickly
tired of that.

A wide-open pupil at night changes your focus.  Stronger glasses are needed
to offset the wide pupil.

About 5 years ago I measured my dark-adapted pupil as 7 mm.  Was surprised
it was still that large for my age (almost 50 at the time.)  I used a
millimeter ruler just below my eye in front of a mirror with the minimum
amount of red light needed to see everything.  Last fall the optometrist
didn't bother using a dilating drug for an eye exam as he saw my pupil was
already large enough to see inside adequately.  It all makes sense from an
observing standpoint, as I still achieve the same star limiting magnitudes
as always along with no noticeable reduction in long-term meteor rates.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society