[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: (ASH) Re: [SHALLOW] IMO says don't drink Hot Drink while Observing in the Cold

Dave Mitsky wrote:

> AstronomerTed@aol.com wrote:
>
> > The International Meteor Org states on their website
> > <http://www.imodot net/visual/major01.html>
> > "do not have hot drinks -- they dilute the blood vessels and make you feel
> > colder"
> >
> > This is really true? Everyone that I've ever observed with has always
> > advacated "Drink some hot chocolate, or do you want something hot to drink?"
> >
> > Is this indeed true?
> >
> > I just can't see drinking a glass of cold chocolate milk in -30 degree
> > windchills...... I'd much rather have some hot cocoa...
> >
> > Let's have some discussion on whats better to drink when observing and if
> > this is true or its just an old myth..
> >
> > ~Ted
>
> There is the possibility that the writer was referring to hot caffeinated
> beverages.  Caffeine does increase blood pressure and may mediate changes in
> certain blood vessels, although its overall effects on vasoconstriction and
> vasodilatation remain unclear.  (There are many variables involved in such
> studies.)   See http://www.priory.com/pharmol/caffeine.htm from which I'm
> quoting, "This suggests that the methylxanthines have little direct action on
> the major resistance vessels. It is more likely that any change in peripheral
> vascular resistance results from interplay of the effects on the brain stem and
> the heart, with modification or reinforcement by autonomic reflexes, changes in
> the concentrations of circulating catecholamines and interaction with
> autoregulatory local hormones." The conclusion of one study of the
> thermoregulatory effects of caffeine
> (http://www.asma.org/abstracts/v69n12/69-1178.html) was that "Ingestion of a
> high level (10 mg · kg-1) of caffeine has no effect on skin heat conductance,
> sweating, or the rate of increase and final level of rectal temperature during
> moderate, submaximal leg exercise."
>
> Cocoa contains theophyline, another mild stimulant.
>
> Dave Mitsky

Correction: tea contains theophylline as well as some caffeine and theobromine.
Cocoa contains theobromine and caffeine, with theobromine being predominant  All
three are methylxanthines, or xanthine alkaloids, and can be found in a number of
plant species.

Dave Mitsky