[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [HSMS] Quadrantid meteors - much dust

>Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:51:07 -0500
>From: Ken Tentarelli <ken@sugar-riverdot net>
>Subject: [HSMS] Quadrantid meteors - much dust
>
>I made several recordings of Quad meteor pings on
>Wednesday morning.  Most of the recordings give the
>impression that the pings were caused by "handfuls"
>of dust.
>
>I put some of the recordings on the web at
>   http://www.s9.com/quads/   so you can decide for yourself.
>
>Ken  AC1H
Note - I find them very interesting, esp. the last display.
They have some of the characteristics of overdense burns on 144 MHz, yet
they "aren't quite right."  The last one (the WinMSDSP display) looks
something like an overdense burst with the heavy, rapid flutter
("picket-fencing" QSB) that is fairly common on overdense bursts.  But
again, it just "isn't all there."  It's too "ragged" for the apparent
strength.  (And I've seen lots of fluttery overdense bursts on MSDSP's
screen).
There isn't enough on the screen shots to tell any more about them.  (Click
on the 3 shots to enlarge them).  I'm going to see if Ken saved wave files,
for I'd like to hear them for myself.  For their length, tho, they just
aren't "very good".  Maybe extremely friable cosmic graupel, as Ken
suggests???
Shelby