To: owner-meteorobs@jovian.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:17:49 -0500
Subject: Here is another one to be looked at .
From: Joseph R DuPont <joedupont@juno.com>

Dear Professor Hewins,

What are the chances that this article could be researched to
see if Madison was witness to an actual meteor fall. My limited
research indicates that there are no know falls in Madison, NJ.
If this is the case it should be noted for the record books.
As far as I know, no molten remains have ever existed from
an impact. This most likely was a fraud.
This article was sent to me from the Madison Library.

Sincerely,

Joe DuPont
P.O. box 189
GIllette,N.J. 07933
908 647 1000 ext 250

Madison News Paper Artcle of Fallen Meteorite.

                         Meteor Fell In Orchard
                   Section Early This Morning

		 The crash of a falling meteor startled
people in the Orchard section about 5:45 o'clock this morning. The great
ball of fire striking the ground in the middle of Lathrop Avenue near
Orchard Street. The whole section was filled with smoke for a while, and
the crash cause houses to appear to rock and people feared an earthquake.
The meteor on striking the ground sunk into the earth leaving a hole
about three feet across and 5 feet deep and crusted as though molten
metal had been poured over it.
Augustus Wilson, a brother of  I.R Wilson, and who lives in Lathrop
avenue, saw the great ball of fire come out of the heavens. In a moment
it struck the ground with a loud explosion. Volumes of black vapor arose
and enveloped the section. Many people mistook the noise for lightening
that had been heard throughout the night. The presence of the hole and
Mr. Wilson's witness of the phenomenon gave proof that a meteor had
fallen.

                                 Sept. 21 1927 page 7

------- End of Forwarded Message