[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hot Drinks warm you up!

I've read with interest the debate about hot drinks and observing. Although it
definitely *IS* off-topic for our list, it is also of interest for most of us
who wish to keep up our observing during cold Winter months.

I won't contribute to the main thread, simply suggesting that individuals try
out both cool, warm and hot drinks - with and without caffeine or sugar - for
themselves, and decide from THEIR results what suits THEM best on cold nights.

However, I did feel the need to comment on one sub-topic of this thread: the
consumption of alcohol while observing. Some casual (non-recording) meteor
observers may feel that drinking alcohol enhances their observing experience,
making it more fun to "just watch". This is fine, and more power to you.

BUT, we should all be clear that anyone who chooses to RECORD their meteor
observations, and wishes to make an honest contribution to the research of
meteor streams, MUST NOT MIX SUBSTANCE USE AND METEOR OBSERVING! There are
enough uncertainties in visual meteor data which require much statistical
"finessing" by researchers, without adding in the big, uncorrectable, AND
entirely unnecessary effects of substance use on visual perception...

(I might include nicotine in the list of "substances", but I'm sure IMO's
New Jersey contingent would mail-bomb me if I did. ;>)

Anyway, just thought we ought to get this particular idea on the table. :)

Clear skies all!
Lew Gramer