[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Quads in South Carolina

Mark Davis asked:
>> The cold caused me some trouble with the batteries in my recorder.
>> Am considering switching over to the rolled paper method. Anybody
>> have any success or failures with that method?

And Hartwig Luethen replied:
>This method works beautifully, even at high rates. I always have
>a roll of paper with me as a backup.

Ever since reading the advice of Norwegian observer Trond Hillestad on
this list in 1997 (anybody still in touch with Trond??), I did exactly
this - and that adding machine roll has been in my backpack ever since!

I have had only a couple of occasions to use it - more often, if I had
recorder trouble, it was while rates were low, and I'd simply switch to
a clipboard, faint red light and pencil. But the roll did come in very
handy during Malcolm Currie's recent visit to the Boston area, when he
was without clipboard, light OR tape. He made good use of that roll! :)

BTW, one note to Mark Davis and all other "tropical" observers: if you
use ANY battery-powered item in the field at sub-freezing temperatures,
you will find you need to keep that item close to your body, or it may
give out... I have gotten into the habit of keep all three - red light,
watch and tape recorder inside my jacket or coat lapel during sessions,
and since then have had no "cold-related" failures of any of these!

Clear skies,
Lew "The Yankee Watcher" Gramer :)