To: George Spalding <g.h.spalding@rl.acdot uk>
Cc: mcbal.gwyvre@virgindot net, imo-news@imodot net
From: Neil Bone <bafb4@central.susx.acdot uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:15:46 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [IMO-News] 2001 Jan 02/03 Quadrantids observations

Hi George,
          Happy New Year!
          Thanks for the prompt results - much in line with my own
rather paltrier watch, and with expectations. With peak probably
sometime like 10 am, I was expecting rates similar to the 1993 return,
and that's what we seem to have got. I was out late on - 0447-0542, LM
5.5, cloud variable, averaging about 5%. From memory, I think the total
was 3 sporadics and 11 Quadrantids. Nothing brighter than mag. +1. Cloud
became very extensive just ahead of dawn, so I lost the last half-hout
or so of planned observations. Back at work yesterday, so a return to
the knackering routine of Connex South Central; I also spent much of the
evening over the keyboard, turning out notes for the BAA Newsletter and
copy for April's Astronomy Now. Alarm set for 04UT, didn't wake me till
0420! By the time I finished observing, it wasn't worth going back to
bed, so an early start in the lab today - back to the inner workld of
green fluorescent yeast cells under the microscope...
   I should think there will be a good number of reports to come. All
quiet now, I suppose, till the Lyrids. Time to catch up on the paperwork:
my Sysyphian letter-pile refuses to lie down and die! Leo '98 paper
for JBAA has finally been returned from referee 2, three months after
submission. Won't do much for appearances in the received vs accepted
column, but Nick tells me only minoir changes necessary, so that one
should finally be put to bed in the next week or two.
   Not entirely convinced by the various Ursid reports. From what I've
seen/surmised so far, Jenniskens et al are pumping observed rates of 10
per hour into a ZHR 50 outburst. The oft-neglected *1982* return was
better than that! As per some of the Leonid interpetations, I do wonder
if we're seeing prophecy/wish-fulfilment?
    You should get a letter from me any day now. For the meantime,
here's to a better year than we endured in 2000, and maybe the chance
for everyone to get a look-in on some higher than average activity. The
standard fare of half a dozen per hour or fewer is all very well, but
just once in a while, it's good to see a major shower close to maximum,
n'est ce pas?

Slainthe
        NB

------- End of Forwarded Message