[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Meteor software for PalmOS?

This is not the same method as is discussed here but I thought it might be of
some interest to people trying to design systems of manual recording.  The
Hewlett Packard 41c hand held computer had an accessory, "Time Module".  This
module enabled me to write a computer program that worked as follow.  At a
preset time like 12 PM it would beep and start accepting data. Each time you
observed a meteor of the shower of interest you would push a programmed
button.  This would increment the count in a stack.  At increments of time
like a half an hour the pointer to the stack would be incremented.  In the
morning at the preprogrammed time it would stop accepting data.  This enabled
you to read out graphically the time distribution of the occurrence of the
meteors.  In the cold of night the Liquid Crystal display stopped working but
the computer continued to function.  I must confess that I had limited success
with this method because operating in the dark by feel I would sometime manage
to push the wrong buttons on the computer and this always caused error
termination of the program.  It was nice though when it worked. This
distribution is not complete enough data for this organization.  The latter
models of Hp had built in timer units but they could not be programmed to do
this same function.