[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Question about LM (Newbie to meteor reporting)

Now that some of the shower activity has passed I thought I'd pose a
newbie question I had when observing the Leonids.
When counting stars to determine Limiting Magnitude  (LM):   Should an
observer use averted vision when counting the dimmer stars?   For
example, if I know where a dim star should be I can spend time looking
around that area till my averted vision pulls it in.  Other stars a
little brighter might not require averted vision, but they go in and out
of visibility to me.   At what point would people suggest I stop
counting?
Thanks for any guidelines/opinions/ideas,
Dustin Brown
Oregon USA