[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: zodiacal light on Jan 03, 2001

On 9 Jan 2001, at 12:31, Robert Lunsford wrote:

> I have never seen a source of information on where to locate the
> zodiacal light on any particular night.

From the northern hemisphere, the ZL is best seen in the west
from Feb-May after evening twilight, and in the east from Aug-Nov
before morning twilight. Because in each case, that is when the
ecliptic (=zodiac) is highest in the sky at about 90° solar
elongation. 90° is typically the furthest extent of the ZL, beyond
which it merges into the Zodiacal Band (ZB). The best time to
catch it is just as evening twilight ends, when the spherical glow of
twilight is replaced by the triangular wedge of the ZL.

> The zodiacal band rivals the winter Milky Way but is considerably fainter
> than the summer Milky Way as seen from the Northern Hemisphere.

I have found the ZB to be even fainter than the winter milky way,
but its brightness varies a lot along its length! In fact, calling it a
"band" is misleading, making one believe it looks uniformly bright
from end to end. In fact, it is brighter at the points where it merges
with the ZL and the Gegenschein, and gets very faint and hard to
see halfway between the Gegenschein and the limit of the ZL (at
about 135° solar elongation).

All of these phenomena are better seen from tropical latitiudes.
because there the ecliptic tends to be near the zenith at the
favorable dates, and they are all so subtly faint that the extra
atmospheric absorption at lower elevations really attenuates them
severely. When I used to live in the mid latitudes, I hardly ever
recall seeing them, but here in Hawaii they are very obvious,
especially from the dark mountaintops. In fact the ZL is so bright
that its a nuisance, preventing observations of faint comets or
variable stars that happen to lie within its broad bounds!

Clear Zodiacal Observing!
Mike.